Thursday, November 25, 2010

Fort Bragg, CA. As I was disconnecting the extension cord Carl Ortner had attached to an outside socket near his garage door, he told me that he thinks George Thomas Lemmon, our great-grandfather, worked on the Winchester Mystery House. [In fact, that's what Carl's mother, Ruth Lemmon Ortner, had told him several times.] And since his son, George Calvin Lemmon was born in San Jose, that may explain why George T. remained in the Santa Clara Valley until eventually working north to Santa Rosa and then to the Noyo River south of Fort Bragg.

Took the advice of both of my cousins, Burt Colberg and Carl Ortner, and followed SR29 instead of SR20 to US101. And there was a bit of freeway around Kelsyville. Also, there was a paved Vista Point where I took a photo not only of the snow on the mountains to the NW of Clear Lake but also of the lake itself. Further down the road Lake Mendocino at first seemed to be a long, narrow lake with steep banks, but eventually it broaded out into a more typical-looking lake or reservoir near its dam. [One bridge along the way had a sign which said "No Fishing, Diving, or Jumping" from the bridge overpass; judging by the tops of the trees near the bridge, it must have been 50 or more feet to the water; only a damn fool would have jumped -- but then there are always a few risk-takers who think they're invincible.]

Arrived in Ukiah about 3p, taking the 2d of the 4 exits off 101 which lead to the Mendocino County Seat. While driving south on State Street I came upon the Savings Bank of Mendocino County main office or branch. Rather than wait til Friday to change my mailing address (from Santa Cruz to Fort Bragg) I stopped and made the change. And since the teller was about my age, I asked her if she had lived in Ukiah long. The reply was, "Most of my life."

But when I asked her if she knew where the Held-Poague House was, she didn't; but one of her co-workers overheard my question and gave me explicit directions to it: it's on Dora Street about 5 or 6 blocks south and directly across the street from the Presbyterian Church. Since the Held House (as it's more commonly called) closes at 4p, I was happy to have precise directions.

As she had stated in a reply to my e-mail, Barbara Webster greeted me after I walked in the front door of the HH, which is home to the Mendocino County Historical Society. The building is an old Victorian once owned by a lawyer/judge named William Held; I believe his daughter donated the house and property to the Historical Society. [Since I'm writing this off-line, will insert a link to their website later.]

Barbara showed me their collections, which included many books on California Indians, some corn- and acorn-grinding pestals developed from rocks, many Indian baskets of various sizes as well as books the Ukiah Library had given them when the library removed its California section. But the collection which has most benefited me is the collection of obituaries for Mendocino County residents -- and that includes papers such as the Fort Bragg Adcocate News and Mendocino Beacon

There was a cane in the front display case with ornate carving and a silver handle. I asked who formerly owned it was and another lady opened up the case and read the name inscribed in the handle. It hadn't belonged to Judge Held, but another early-day Mendocino County resident.
--
Thanked Barbara for showing me through the HH and asked her where the Ukiah Library was. Turned out it was 4 blocks down the street next to the HH on Perkins Street.

Located the library on Perkins and Main(?) Streets but couldn't find a parking lot. However, there was some permit parking with a few public parking slots a block down Main St. Since there was a cold north wind blowing I put on my Gore-Tex windbreaker over my Polar-Fleece jacket (which was over a T-shirt and 2 flannel shirts). I was warm while walking to the library, but the bench outside the locked door had a seat of tile -- which was ice. Why was I sitting outside? Like most businesses, the library had closed early on Thanksgiving eve.

Found their unsecured WiFi site but was transferred to a 3d party site to register a free account. Jumped through all of the hoops, but couldn't get on-line. Did it a 2d time and still had no free access. Finally, I concluded that the whole point of the supposedly free access is to get one to pay for access. The Ukiah Library is the only library which I've used which does not have free WiFi.

Returned to the warm cab of my pickup and headed for Willits. Just over Ridgewood, the high-point on US101 between Ukiah and Willits traffic was backed up. If memory serves, the drive is 14 miles; but with the backup from an accident, perhaps in Willits, of c5 miles; and it took over an hour to get to Willits.

As we slowly inched our way into Willits I pulled into a Burger King to see if they had WiFi. As I walked toward the front door a couple was struggling to get an elderly woman to her feet. She was grunting and not able to speak. I asked them if they needed help. We attempted to get her to her feet, but her lower legs were doubled back at the knees under her. We freed her legs and laid her on the pavement while a worker at Burger King called 911. Some wanted to get the woman up again, but a younger woman who may have had some experience with sports medicine said, "Leave her on her side and don't move her neck."

After I went inside and used the plumbing, the ambulance arrived and took her away. My guess is that she had an epileptic fit, seizure, or convulsion. (In fact, it reminded me of my late younger brother Warren the first few times he had a convulsion while sleeping and my mother dragged him to the bathroom.) Once the woman was on the ground and the woman who first helped her began to talk with her, she was able to respond somewhat more rationally by giving her name. She had apparently stopped by Burger King to get a Coke or soft drink and then had collapsed right next to her car as she left. Hopefully she'll regain full health; she appeared to be in her 70s.

It would appear the lesson here when you help someone who has collapsed, especially if you didn't see it happen, are to make sure they can still breath (initally the woman appeared to have liquids in throat and mouth) and make them as comfortable as possible on the ground or pavement; any neck injuries will be worsened by moving the person who has collapsed.

Sent my cousins in Fort Bragg an e-mail saying I had been delayed a bit, ate a Whopper Jr and some Value Fries, and then drove SR20 to Fort Bragg; pulled over several times to let vehicles which had overtaken me pass. [In former years when I had a smaller vehicle and was usually the overtaker, I chafed at the bit when RVs or overloaded pickups would not use the turn-outs; in fact, a couple of citations came from losing patience and passing over a double-line -- just as a CHP or deputy sheriff's vehicle appeared going the opposite direction.]

Stopped at the Boatyard Shopping Center, which is at the intersection of SR20 & SR1 and best accessed from SR20, buying some liquid dish-washing soap and sponges. Made it to my cousin Arlene & her husband Steve's place on Huckleberry Ln at about 8:30p.
....
This morning I phoned another cousin whose address I'm using just as he and his wife were leaving for Hyampom; he agree to put my mail on the front-porch wood bin.

Likely won't leave Ft Bragg til Sunday -- after a small cold front swings through on Friday afternoon and Saturday.
--
HAPPY TURKEY DAY!
--
Planned Route (starting Sunday): Eureka, Willow Creek, Weaverville, & Redding.

No comments:

Post a Comment