Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner

Arlene Lemmon Colombi, her daughter Kristene, and her husband Steve prepared a tastey Thanksgiving dinner -- though Steve complained that the two women pilfered the gravy he had prepared. But, as it turned out, there was not only enough gravy but also turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing (which Kristene made and which was particularly good), apple pie, and, of course, pumpkin pie. And Loyal "Jasper" Lemmon brought over some bread which he had just baked that afternoon. [Not sure whether Jasper learned to make bread on his own or was taught by his late mother, Mary Jane Sallinen Lemmon.] I was apparently the only one who went back for seconds since I'm one of the few people in the universe who is trying to gain weight.

After I indicated that the favorite veggie of both me and my late mother, Mary Wilcoxson Lemmon, was corn on the cob with butter [though I've recently switched to I Can't Believe It's Not Butter margarine], I told the story my father told often of his father and wife eating 20 ears of corn between them. Jasper added that the incident took place during the summer of 1939 at Caspar Lumber Company Camp 19 and Mary was pregnant with me. Someone remarked that perhaps that corn-on-the-cob chowdown was the reason I liked that particular vegetable so much.

Other participants at the Thanksgiving Dinner included Steve's mother Winifred "Jean" Berkovitz Colombi, Arlene's brother Willie Lemmon, and Steve & Arlene's renter Ray.

[Now that HTML tags make these blog posts somewhat more readable, will work on using those tags to make the earlier posts equally as readable. And I shall investigate Google's photo service, Picassa, since it appears one must use it in order to post photos to a blog using Blogger.]

No comments:

Post a Comment