Tuesday, January 18, 2011

D-Day #2 Has Arrived

San Lorenzo County Park, King City, CA.

    While I did make a three-week swing through Northern and Central California in November and December, the real journey began yesterday after I had the RV Service Center check one major problem (a dead "house battery") and a couple of smaller ones in my camper.

    Afterward I returned to my two storage lockers and loaded the things I had placed there the previous day in order to make it easier for the Service Center technicians to work on the camper's problems. My brother David stopped by and picked up the original of my Advanced Medical Directive for California; hopefully I won't reach the end of the line as my late father did: tethered to a bed in a commercial health facility. In other words, when I croak I hope it's while I'm fishing, doing genealogy, or traveling.


    Who are these people? Drove from Santa Cruz to Salinas, where I gave Jane her copy of my AMDirective and borrowed the Plantronics headset one of our late mother's caregivers had provided for her. Being a skinflint, I intend to use Skype to make calls to friends and relatives who also use Skype. And if/when I buy a cell phone it will be dedicated to one specific purpose: phoning Ford's Roadside Assistance.

    Those standing alongside my rig are my sister Jane Lemmon, her husband of 50 years, Phil DiGirolamo, and one of their grandsons, Tyler Voogd. Afterward I replaced the missing fill cap for my freshwater tank with a small plastic sandwich bag and rubber band. (I had left the cap on my left side-view mirror, but neglected to replace it after I put some more Santa Cruz water in my 20-gallon water tank.)

    After a stop at 1 of the three truck-stop gas stations clustered at South Sandborn Road and Work Street in Salinas, I headed south on US101. At Soledad I took the business route through town and wandered about looking for the Soledad Mission. (As I learned on the previous journey in northern and central California one is well-served by checking addresses on-line the day before; but because of my wish to "get the show on the road," I didn't have time to do that.) I also spent c45 minutes walking through the Soledad District Cemetery, hoping I'd find some headstones with Binsaca on them; didn't happen.

    After stopping at the King City McDonald's, where I was unable to park next to the building since those spots were taken by patrons [perhaps too many Big Macs diminishes one's ability to walk], I drove by a Starbucks and kept going since I don't drink coffee. The Safeway was smaller than most I've visited recently, which means it's an older store without WiFi; most of the new Safeway stores which have WiFi are the new large stores such as those in Placerville, Sonora, Santa Cruz, and Freedom.

    A young fellow at Safeway told me the library was on Broadway, off of which the entrance to this RV park is located, but I was unable to find it in the dark. My guess is that it's very near the King City High School, home of the Mustangs.

--
T 18 Jan Route: King City - Paso Robles - San Miguel - King City

No comments:

Post a Comment