Tuesday, November 23, 2010

D-Day Arrived on Monday 22 November

    While I'm writing this from my truck camper at the Napa County Fairgrounds RV Campground in Calistoga, yesterday was *D-Day* -- as in Departure (or Driving).
....
    Drove back to ham Jim Tripp's spread south of Castroville and had him measure the clearance needed to avoid hitting the air conditioning shroud on top of the camper: 11 feet. But, like the cat Mark Twain describes which, after sitting on a hot stove, would never sit a stove, hot or cold, again, I think I'll require a clearance of 11' 6" before I try to drive my rig under a gas station roof or awning, low-hanging limbs at an RV campground [CG], or RR under-crossing.
    Once burned, this cat has learned an expensive ($6000) lesson!
--
    The drive from Castroville north to the Martinez/Benicia Bridge on I-680 was non-eventful, though there was more traffic than I expected during the early afternoon; glad I missed the commute traffic later.
--
    But once I turned off of I-80W and headed for Napa, the country side became more interesting. Had never previously been there; the drive reminded me of the drive from Petaluma to Bodega, a route I take to get to SR1 when heading north to Fort Bragg. And like Bodega Road, SR29 to Napa is 2-lane with no places to pass [besides which I ain't gonna be passing many other vehicles on 2-lane roads -- except perhaps a horse-drawn hay wagon].
    Filled the gas tank at the first station I came to since the speedometer message board was nagging me with a "low fuel level" warning. Even though I don't think one can get the last 1.5 gallons out of my Ford F-250 35 gallon tank, I knew it would take a while to fill so I stepped inside the camper, re-adjusted my clothes, & put on my belt. (Yes, I know some of the young-uns like to have their pants hanging at half mast, but that's not my style.)
    Cost $101.07 fill my tank at $3.07/gal; had intended to fill at $3.15/gal at the Castroville Valero, but they had jacked up their prices 60 $3.19[to gouge Thanksgiving travelers according to Jim].
--
    The drive to St Helena was even more relaxing, though I had to keep my eyes on the road since many winery workers were getting off work and heading home. But it's clear what the big biz is here: vino!
    Couldn't find the library in Napa; everybody seemed to be at the Wal-Mart where I thought I might ask a greeter if he/she knew where the library was located. But as I stopped at a light on a 4 or 6-lane road, the fellow next to me tried to tell me something. Released my seat belt, leaned way over, & rolled down the window. He said my gas-cap was hanging out. Thanked him and as I rolled the window back up he shouted, "Bet you wish you had automatic windows." Just nodded and smiled, but if the truth were known, I prefer roll-up windows to the battery-operated type. The reason: I've been able to repair all window problems myself -- until I had a window problem with my previous vehicle, an 87 Mazda; it cost me $70 to have the window rolled up when lifting mechanism conked out.
    Made an illegal left turn across an empty left turn lane & put the gas cap back.
--
    Continued north to St Helena, which, like Napa, reminded me of Carmel: lots of shops and botiques selling merchandise in older buildings which had been renovated.
    Saw a sign to the Library and was pleasantly surprised to find a very new building next to a Robert Louis Stevenson memorial. If memory serves, author Stevenson, who did spend time in Monterey, had a home in or near St Helena. While the RLS portion was closed, suspect there may be something on-line about it.
    Used the library WiFi to contact my cousin Burt; we'll meet for lunch today at Beulah's in Middletown, which I'm guessing is so named because it's roughly half-way 'tween Calistoga and and Clear Lake.
--
    After arriving at the Napa County Fairgrounds CG, I read the info on the bulletin and chose a partial hook-up ($30) instead of a full hookup ($33); a partial hook-up includes water and a 30-amp plug-in for electricity; a full hook-up has a sewer connection.
    Chose this CG because the Trailer Life CG Directory said it had WiFi, but the WiFi was intermittent -- perhaps beause of the rain. So, if I'm unable to post this from here, will do so later at the Calistoga Library, which is at 1108 Myrtle Street.
    [Will see if I can change this using HTML tags to make it easier to read; for starters, the paragraphs should be indented or separated from each other with blank lines.]

No comments:

Post a Comment