Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Doing Genealogy Research While Full-Timing

    I first became interested in genealogy in 1999 when I needed some pedigree charts for a family reunion. While I had minimal interest at the time, I was bitten by the Genealogy Bug. Eventually I located a distant cousin who had already done a great deal of research on our family.
   Since I had some website-design experience, I created a website for our joint family; here's a link.
....
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughlemmon/
....
    While searching for obituaries of family members I discovered an organization called RAOGK [Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness]. After obtaining several obits from their volunteers I volunteered to do lookups in Santa Cruz County, CA; that stint lasted from Mar 03 to Sep 09 -- with some additional lookups of decedents' obituaries for Santa Clara and San Francisco Counties using the microfilm in the Santa Cruz Library.
--
    But now I'm going to travel in a 4x4 pickup with a slide-in camper not only to do my own lookups and see some of the things I whizzed by during the first 6 months of my 3-year tour in the army but also to do lookups for others. (More on that in a future post.)
Rig at Peaks View Parking Lot, Pinnacles NM
--
    Since this is my first post I'll give my short-term itinerary here; later both my short-term and long-term itinerary or routes will be on a separate page.
    The following [subject to change without notice] is my planned route in California for the next 2-3 weeks: Vallejo, Calistoga, Clearlake, Ukiah, Willits, Fort Bragg, Willow Creek, Weaverville, Redding, Chico, Orland, Yuba City, Auburn, Placerville, Sutter Creek, Stockton, Oakdale, Sonora, & Twain Harte.

No comments:

Post a Comment