Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sonora - Arnold - Frogtown RV Pk (Angeles Camp)

Glory Hole CG (Big Oak at New Melones Reservoir)


 

 

    The Parrots Ferry Bridge over an arm of the New Melones Reservoir on Tuolumne County Road # E-18.

 

 

    Looking south from the middle of the Parrots Ferry Bridge. I believe the last time I took SR??? it was prior to the building of the New Melones Dam; in fact, when my father, maternal grandfather and I drove to near the Calaveras Big Trees Grove, we got rained out early in the fishing season. But the bridge was likely in or near the same location but over the main fork of the Stanislaus River rather than the arm of a lake.

    Looking generally east as a power boat heads toward the bridge. The road down to the bride (in Tuolumne County) is much the same as years ago, but the road on the other side of the bridge (in Calaveras County) has been straigtened a bit and is in much better shape.

 

 

    California State Historical Marker #438. Click 1 or 2 times to zoom in. [Am searching for a more readable photos without bird dropping on it.]

 

 

 

    While this 5th photo is of New Melones Lake the previous 4 photos were taken on F 30 Apr as I drove from Sonora to Columbia and then stoped in Murphys to eat lunch; was unsuccessful in locating the Murphys Library before they closed at 4p.m. So I headed up SR4 to Arnold where I hoped to find the home of former Explorer Post 71 advisor Ray Sutliff. With the help of Nicole at Fine Things (a shop mainly of things which would interest women) I was able to phone Ray and spend 2-3 hours reliving the "days of yore" after I got to his place using the maps Nicole printed for me.
--
    While Ray suggested I cud dry-camp in or near Murphys' park on a paved parking lot, I kept driving til I got to Angels Camp and the Frogtown RV Park at the Calaveras County Fairgrounds. I had hoped they had WiFi by now -- and they did. However, it was a bit too pricey for me $5 once you caught someone in the office. While I likely could have used it this morning rather than a McDonalds north of Angels Camp on SR49, wasn't sure if there would be anyone in the fair office.
--
    Bought a few things at the Save-Mart north of town on SR49, where a checker told me that Starbucks had WiFi and was located next to McDonalds; she didn't know much about McDonalds, which means she was not a burger & fries eater but did drink coffee.
--
    As I write this I'm dry camping (no hookups) at a site in the Big Oak section of the Glory Hole Campgrounds at the New Melones Reservoir. [Hopefully no flatlanders will build a campfire tonight so that I have to close my camper's windows; low overnight for Angels Camp is predicted to be 47 degrees -- the lower the better as far as I concerned.]
--
Links:

M 2 May Route: Big Oak CG (New Melones Reservoir) - Sonora - Shaw's Flat - Big Oak CG

T 3 May Route: Big Oak CG (New Melones Reservoir) - San Andreas - New Hogan Lake CG

No comments:

Post a Comment