Monday, June 13, 2011

Alturas to Canby to Lava Beds Natl Monument

Lava Beds National Monument


    Add another county without free WiFi in it county libraries: Modoc. I had intended to post the photos I took during the drive from Lake Almanor, but they will have to wait.
    This shot to the west on SR139 not too far from Canby is of Mt Hoffman and the mtns surrounding Medicine Lake, which played a large part in the creation of the [Mono] Lava Beds. [Click 1 or 2 times to enlarge.]

    In this view to the west from further north Mt. Hoffman is the tallest peak and the partially snow-covered mtns are those surrounding Medicine Lake. A CHP officer pulled alongside as I prepared to continue the drive north, but I told him I was OK and had stopped to take a photo as well as answer the call of nature.

 

    Near the small town of Tionesta I took a photo of the Lava Beds NM sign with the above-described mtns on the left side of the photo. While the sign warned of a rough road, only 2 or 3 miles of the 14 had potholes.

....
Note: had problems uploading the many Lava Beds photos at the Klamath Falls Library on W 15 & was forced to abort due to time constraints; hwr, I saved much of what I had done to the point where I got error messages and should be able to resurrect the post with all of the photos I took during the two days at Lava Beds N.M.
--
Links:

W 15 Jun Actual Route: Merrill - Klamath Falls - Pinehurst - Hyatt Lake BLM CG

Th 16 Jun Route: Hyatt Lake BLM CG - Ashland - I-5 @ CA's North Border - Klamath River (on SR96)

No comments:

Post a Comment