Monday, May 7, 2012

Glenn's Ferry to Ontario, OR. to Payette & Cambridge, ID

Cambridge, ID

 

    As I left Three Island Crossing State Park at Glenn's Ferry I took this photo of an Idaho State History Marker/Landmark. [Click once to enlarge; press ESC to return to the blog.]

 

 

 

    Looking to the right of the above Historical Marker one can see at least 1 of the 3 islands directly behind the nearest power pole.

 

 

 

    Zooming out, here's more of the Three Island Crossing area. If I'm not mistaken, the ravine on the far side of the Snake River was used by emigrants to get to the relative flat ground on top of the river bluffs. Those who were headed for California already turned south at the Raft River and headed through what is now the City of Rocks National Reserve. [See below.] Oregon Trail followers mushed overland toward an even bigger river: the Columbia.
    Before getting to Ontario, Oregon, I spent 3 nights camped on three different Walmart parking lots. The least-hospitable Walmart I've seen is in Arroyo Grande in San Luis Obispo County in California. Most of those inland will allow you to park even if you don't buy anything; look for signs stating "Security Cameras in Use." However, I almost always buy something unless I just stocked up at a nearby Walmart.
    Boise had the first Rite-Aid I had seen since Tucson, AZ, if memory serves. A woman at a Twin Falls Walgreens told me that when I told her I was waiting for peanuts to go on sale at one of the durgstore chains. But with a 100,000+ population, I was there primarily to use their libraries, which were open on Sundays and wait for the Sunday sale fliers from the drug stores. After buying peanuts at a Boise Rite-Aid, I headed north-west on I-84.
    [And now the remainder of the photos I took today; will add captions later since I need to work on updating the Lemmon-Clan World Connect website; see post immediately below for routes & CG finders.]







 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--
Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment