Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Half Moon Bay to Calaveras Reservoir to Del Valle Campgroud

Del Valle Campground near Livermore, CA

 

    Several McMansions on hilltops to the south of the Calaveras Reservoir as seen from Calaveras Road.

 

 

 

 

 

 

    Panning to the left a farmer or rancher chose a valley instead of a hilltop for his buildings, several of which are hidden by the large oak trees.

 

 

 

 

 

    The upper portion of the Calaveras Reservoir (elev: 752').

 

 

    Another view of the reservoir looking up the Arroyo Hondo arm. [While driving from the spot were I ate a late lunch before walking up to the turn on Calaveras Rd from which I took the first 3 photos, I saw a bobcat (lynx rufus) whose ears were broader at the base and tapering to a sharper point than a housecat; the fact that the bobcat was small and not particularly afraid of my rig made me think it was a feral cat, but the ears were not like those of any housecat I've ever seen and it was more muscular. And further down the road I saw one of the bobcat's favorite dinners: a cottontail rabbit. (See Links.)]

    The Calaveras Dam and the keeper's house. (While I thought that the Revervoir was part of the Hetch Hetchy Water System of the San Francisco Municipal Utility District, I can find no evidence of that on 2 of my maps. (Will check on-line when I post this to the blog.)]

 

    While this first attempt at the Sunol/Ohlone Recreational Area to photograph only caught a blur as two hummingbirds fought over access to a hummingbird feeder, you can see a blur below the feeder where the 2d bird trys to sneak in.

 

 

 

    [Click 1 or 2 times to enlarge.] One combatant is approaching the yellow feeding tube to the right and the second is actually working for a living; that is he/she is feeding from the red blossom below the feeder.

 

--
Links:

M 5 Sep Actual Route: Half Moon Bay

T 6 Sep Actual Route: Half Moon Bay - San Mateo - Milpitas - Calaveras Resv - Del Valle Campground

W 7 Sep Actual Route: Del Valle CG - Livermore - Manteca - Sonora - Long Barn

Th 8 Sep Actual Route: Long Barn - Mi-Wuk - Twain Harte - Sonora - Long Barn

F 9 Sep Route: Long Barn - Mi-Wuk - Sonora - Long Barn
--
Finding Campgrounds:

N.B. I receive nothing from Trailer Life or Woodalls for including links to their free campground lookups.

No comments:

Post a Comment