Sunday, March 6, 2011

Organ Pipes Cactus Natl Monument

Tucson, AZ


    After driving from Kingman to Wickenburg to Ajo on 12 Feb and finally locating an RV park with WiFi after dark, I headed for Organ Pipes Cactus Natl Monument the next morning. [While I'm posting these photos and some explanatory text today or tomorrow, in about 10 days I'll change the date to 13 Feb.]

    The first photo is of the Kris Eggle Visitor Center, which is named for a NPS ranger who with several Border Patrolmen attempted to apprehend two illegal aliens. One surrendered but the second opened fire with an AK-47, hitting Ranger Eggle below his vest causing a fatal injury.

    The first two photos show good views of an organ pipe cactus; I suspect this one gets more water than the few I saw along the road to the Visitors Center. I also saw one while driving around Tucson, but wondered if the owner obtained his at the "Midnight Cactus Nursery." [Click 1 or 2 times to read "Challenge and Sacrifice."]

 

 

 


    The fourth photo is of a chainfruit cholla at the Visitor Center.

 

 

 

 

 

 

     While driving AZ Highway 86 from Organ Pipes NM to Tucson I came across a historical marker which described a late 1880s gold-mining boom that went bust.

 

 

 

 

Links:

M 7 Mar Route: Page-Lake Powell (RV) Campground

No comments:

Post a Comment