Friday, March 4, 2011

Visited Painted Desert/Petrified Forest Natl Park Yesterday

Winslow, AZ

    Spent yesterday touring the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest National Park east of Holbrook, AZ. I did stop at the former while driving to Augusta, GA, and Ft Gordon in Nov 1961, but may have only taken a few photos of the Painted Desert at the time.

    However, yesterday I took 40+ photos. I need some time to pick out the 10-12 best photos for 1 or 2 posts. Also, there's some rain/snow headed this way early next week, so I want to move to a lower elevation by Sunday afternoon.

    Was forced to boondock [or, dry camp] last night because I couldn't locate a campground and my gas tank was almost empty. This morning I noticed snow on the mountains to the west, which I believe were mentioned in one of the displays yesterday as the San Francisco Mtns north of Flagstaff. [Click once or twice to zoom in on the mtns directly behind the building in the center of the photo.]

F 4 Mar Actual Route: Winslow - Walnut Canyon Natl Monument - Flagstaff

Sa 5 Mar Route: Flagstaff - Gray Mtn - Cameron - Page

Su 6 Mar Route: Page, AZ - Kanab, UT

No comments:

Post a Comment