Sunday, August 14, 2011

Newport to Yachats to Florence, Oregon

Alder Dunes USFS CG

    Looking south from Cape Perpetua just to the south of the town of Yachats. (N.B. This was the third try taking the photo with my right hand while shielding the lens from the sun with my hat held in my left hand; I finally gave up on getting a photo with a horizontal ocean.)

 

 

 

 

    The surf in the small cove to the south of the Heceta Head Lighthouse.

 

 

 

 

 

    The Heceta Head Lighthouse and a seaside McMansion.

 

 

 

    I climbed over a yellow barricade which was a bit to low to stoop under and a bit too high to lift my back leg over without banking my knee. Naturally, there were other viewpoints slightly further south, but they were not as high as this site.
    My guess is that the view extends from Heceta Beach, a small settlement about 5 miles south of the lighthouse to perhaps the Umpqua Lighthouse just south of Winchester Bay.

 

    Panning to the left one can see Sutton Lake, which is suuurounded by a recreation area managed by the U.S. Forest Service off of US101 just nort of Florence.

 

--
Links:

Su 14 Aug Actual Route: Fernville - Newport - Waldport - Florence - Alder Dune USFS CG

M 15 Aug Actual Route: Florence - Reedsport - North Bend - Charleston

T 16 Aug Route: Charleston - Bandon - Port Orford - Gold Beach

--
Finding Campgrounds:
N.B. I receive nothing from Trailer Life or Woodalls for including links to their free campground lookups.

No comments:

Post a Comment